Flexibility exercises are an important component of any strength training program. For many people, flexibility is not well understood and often overlooked as part of an overall fitness plan. Staying flexible can help protect you from injury, especially if you sit most of the day. If your muscles are too tight, they can put extra pressure on your joints, causing discomfort and eventually leading to injury. Flexibility through stretching relaxes tense muscles caused by stress. The best time to incorporate flexibility exercises is in the beginning or in the end of your workout. Stretching exercises need to be part of a regular routine so you can build a balanced body, increase your flexibility and mobility. The more balanced the body, the more efficient its movements and the less likely an injury is to occur.
Yoga and Pilates
The body is a master at finding the path of least resistance and compensating for weak and imbalanced muscles which almost always leads to chronic pain. Flexibility exercises can improve overall ease of movement, decrease stress on the joints, and reduce risk of injury. There are lots of important health reasons to improve your flexibility. Yoga is a great way not only to relax, but also to improve your flexibility of the joints. Pilates is another method of incorporating flexibility training into your workout regimen. Be patient and consistent, because building up flexibility takes time, but it can definitely be worthwhile when it's done right.
- Reduces risk of injury
- Increases blood flow, transporting more nutrients and oxygen throughout body
- Improves body mobility
- Reduces emotional stress
- Increases range of motion
- Reduces muscle soreness
- Improves posture
- Reduces lower back pain
- Improves workouts performance and overall health
- Stretch before any workout.
- Warm up your muscles before stretching.
- Try to relax before any stretching session.
- Begin with a shorter range of motion and a shorter set of exercises.
- Stretch to just before the point of discomfort.
- Stretch opposing muscles.
- Integrate regular stretching into your permanent fitness program.
- Try yoga and pilates stretching exercises.
Flexibility Exercises List: